Ferney, South Dakota
|• Total||1.00 sq mi (2.60 km2)|
|• Land||1.00 sq mi (2.60 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||1,299 ft (396 m)|
|• Density||41.87/sq mi (16.16/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1255039|
Ferney was laid out and platted in 1886 by W. H. Ferney, and named for him. According to another tradition, the name is a transfer from Ferney, France. A post office was established at Ferney in 1887, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1984.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 15, 2022.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ferney, South Dakota
- "Census Population API". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 15, 2022.
- "U.S. Census Bureau: Ferney CDP, South Dakota". www.census.gov. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 12, 2022.
- Chicago and North Western Railway Company (1908). A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railways. p. 71.
- Federal Writers' Project (1940). South Dakota place-names, v.1-3. University of South Dakota. p. 37.
- "Brown County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.